Saturday, January 16, 2010

this week at work


I work in a very conservative place. I love to mix in little unexpected elements with a classic look to infuse a chic dimension to an otherwise plain Jane suit.

Monday: Mix to make a suit

You always have to be cautious when mixing two pieces of a similar colour to try to make a suit-type look. This skirt and tux jacket are quite close in colour but it helps to have the eye diverted to the bright pop of colour at the waist so that it doesn't focus on the mismatched pieces.

(in this outfit: bandolino ruby heels, banana republic grey wool skirt, H&M tux jacket, gifted colourful silk scarf, banana republic fuschia top)

Tuesday: Dark and milk chocolate

It doesn't show well in these pictures but the top under the jacket is asymmetrical to add a different dimension to the outfit. I also added a chunky bracelet with pops of aqua to break up the shades of chocolate.

(in this outfit: Jacob cotton velvet jacket, Victoria's Secret asymmetrical top, Ricki's high waisted pencil skirt, Seychelles snakeprint pumps)

Wednesday: A break from neutrals

Sometimes, a girl just needs a break from blacks and browns and their various shades. Today was about colour. This is about as far as I would be comfortable veering from the suit and tie culture at work. My personal philosophy is to stand out but not have it be too obvious.

(in this outfit: green Tulle cardi, thrifted scarf, grey Old Navy trousers, white Mexx blouse, Steve Madden ruffle pumps)

Thursday: Maybe it was the comfy shoes

Thursdays have always been my favourite day of the week - ever since I was a kid. This ended up being one of the best days I've ever had at work. I felt fully on top of my game, recognized for my work and what I can contribute plus got the chance to do some "cleaning house". I was on such a high when I got home that we went out for a long xc ski. The weather was really mild and we had drinks and snacks at a beautiful old chalet about 4.5km into the park. The huge uphill climb at the beginning of the trail was a liberating steep downhill on the way back that had me wanting to yell all the way down "I'm on top of the wooooorld". Great day.

(in this outfit: Asos studded belt, Laura grey cowl sweater, RW & Co skirt, Aerosoles patent wedges)

Friday: A neutral smoothie

Today's outfit is brought to you by a mix of grey, navy, black and brown. I love the big buttons on this jacket and how they play of the heels of the shoes. Today was also the test run of a new product I decided to try out - the Tonytail. Ever wondered if there was an easy way to get that wrap-around-hair look to finish off your pony tail? This is it ladies! I had to play with it a bit and add some bobby pins to get the look I wanted but it really is great. Stay tuned for more reviews of some of their other fun products!

(in this outfit: Steve Madden gunmetal pumps, Old Navy navy pinstripe trousers, steel grey Smart Set tank, thrifted steel blue wool sweater, Midtown jacket)

1 comment:

  1. All wonderful. I wore a bit of green/grey this week too. I love that look!

    ReplyDelete